The Salvation Army Australia has released the key findings from its annual Economic and Social Impact Survey (ESIS Report), which surveyed 1267 people across Australia who have come to The Salvos for assistance.
Some of the key findings of this report show a drastic need for an increase to the NewStart allowance. The report showed that a significant number of families and individuals who accessed Salvation Army Emergency Relief support experienced some or all of the following:
- Limited economic resources and barriers to employment;
- Food insecurity, outstanding debt and increased cost of living expenses;
- Housing stress, inadequate housing conditions and transience;
- Reduced participation and access to opportunities for individuals and their families; and
- Multiple daily challenges and social disconnectedness.
If you want to know more about the key issues faced by people receiving assistance from the Salvation Army you can access the full report here.